For the final life drawing session with the module, I wanted to direct my attention towards working with acrylic paints. I had not yet worked using this style throughout the previous coloured workshop so it would be the ideal time too plus the finally of the garage sessions, so I seemed rather fitting to explore a more stimulating method. I was confident with how I’d previously managed using colour tone towards the body whilst crating with watercolour and oil pastels.
I felt I needed this push to provide progression through each class.
The first exercises, we’d warm up and display a series of pencil/ pastel sketches of the module’s body. For this piece, we’d work with a time limit of 1 minute per drawing.
(2B - Pencil & Black Pastel)
Each figure overlaps one and other, however a clear display of body angels in a variety of postures done with pressurizing timing.
For the main task we’d provide two colours, each colour would be used separately, this way we could concentrate our efforts on a single aspect of the painting for 10 minutes each. Also with added bonus of white for the light & blending aspect. It was also worth providing a background coat for the portrait which are tutor made something to contemplate.
1).The beginning of the study I felt could've been more effective. I wasn't too pleased with first entry into my acrylic gallery, I felt the image didn't stand out with these in particular tonal coats. A key feature that wasn't displaying a vital role was the background to contrast substance, instead only small patches of the shadow from the legs chairs and feet.
3). Is where I enhanced my approach, finding the painting element controlled. My behaviour of working with acrylic felt improved as I wasn't being bogged down in certain aspects, which would result in parts of the body missing and not worked upon. Once again finding much impact to the surrounding colour, however when looking back I do wish I'd had more time to make the background a larger coat of paint.
4). My final entry for the layers piece concluded with using Red and Naples Yellow which as a result displayed a very peculiar contrast, the mix revealed a metallic texture when exposing the page to a light. when reviewing each others progress after 30 minutes had stopped. I feel very disappointed as I didn't work with a background, but most obviously a chair, so I left the image on a empty page.
At the end of the workshop, we focused are attention towards each other progress and how they tackled the process, which was very interesting, having an understanding of how we approach a assignment. I had previously talked about how the image shows a metallic appearance, this was brought up by my one of the class colleagues. I find it supporting to examine everyone's progress as it build confidents and to learn how others respond to your work.